Here are the top 5 reasons why I love Zubert, a picture book written by Charlie Sutcliffe.
- The illustrations drew me to this book as it stood on display atop a bookshelf. On the cover, the clouds seemed to have blown in from a video game and Zubert’s red hoodie screamed adventure from the muted colors in the background. The pages of the book are filled with busy creatures and humans of fantastical hues and dimensions.
- There are fun creatures called spinglefranks, aka zebra_rabbit_fairies.
- In the story, Zubert and his mother deliver flowers to local hotels. That’s something many of my students can relate to. We live in Las Vegas. Many kids have parents and other family members who work in hotels. Most of my students have seen how hotels can be decorated with flowers inside and out.
- There are fun words and phrases for the kids to play with in this book: smartest hotel, terrible state, experimental flutter, wardrobe, slightly, etc.
- The book is a fanciful demonstration of a limitless imagination.