I know they say they you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but honestly, if not for the strange cover of this book, it may have never caught my attention.
Top 5 Reasons I Love Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen
- The cover of the book absolutely fascinates me. It’s so simple. An innocent, fluffy yellow chick is suspended upside down on a white background. Then, when I turned the book over to read what it’s about, I see words written upside down and right side up. Two people are talking on the same page, two perspectives are represented, who are these two people?
- This book trapped me inside the perspectives of each main character, Juli and Bryce…separately. It is often jarring when the story is flipped back and forth from perspective to perspective. Readers are challenged to think on their own lives and how their perspectives may be more one-sided than they realize.
- Realistic family dramas and traumas and challenges surface throughout this novel. I think many readers will relate to the family struggles and may even find strength and inspiration by reading this story. What is important in family and life? What do you do if you don’t agree with your family? Can families change?
- The growth that these two kids go through is absolutely uplifting throughout this novel. They go through a lot of heartache on this journey, but you feel good about it at the end.
- Something that will stick with me forever is the give it with all your heart passion of Juli. You will have to read the novel to find out more about that.