So, my front yard came equipped with nine hardy, tall growing rosemary bushes. They are doing so well that they are quite honestly driving me bonkers. I trim them, but they grow rapidly and always look wild and crazy with their green tentacles waving and reaching in all directions. All around town I notice that others have the same issues, or they have been trimming using techniques that ultimately leave burned out looking spaces in the rosemary. I wish it didn’t bother me (just enjoy the wildness of the rosemary form), but it does, and I’ve been trying to think of a solution. Yes, I could just pull them out and replace them with something else, but their fragrance is lovely, they don’t need a ton of water, and I love the dark green color that lasts all year.
Maybe it was a recent trip to Disneyland, I’m not sure, but I suddenly realized that I might be able to tame my rosemary bushes by encapsulating them in topiary frames. Yes, I totally want to tame my rosemary into elephants, dragons, and ducks…but I’m going to start with something simple and homemade. I have no idea if I’m going to be able to make this work, so I don’t want to make a costly investment in frames.
After doing some googling and searching through my garage, I decided to turn two old tomato cages into topiary frames.
I turned the tomato cages upside down and taped the three stakes together to form a point at the top.
Then, I slowly and carefully wrapped chicken wire around the tomato cages. I bought zip ties to attach the chicken wire, but ended up cutting and manipulating wire that was used to package the chicken wire.
I worked slowly and carefully with the very poky chicken wire. It wouldn’t hurt to wear safety glasses and long sleeves when doing this project.
First, I wrapped the bottom of the tomato cage with chicken wire and trimmed off the bottom edge of the wire that extended beyond the cage. Then, I wrapped the wire around the top of the cage with a smaller piece of chicken wire.
I attached the chicken wire by twisting small pieces of wire around the chicken wire and cage. The ends of some of the chicken wire were also good for twisting around the cage. With some trial and error, I now have two cone shaped topiary frames. Next time, we’ll see how it goes when I introduce them to the rosemary.