After taking my dog for walk one early morning, I decided to rally and put my topiary frames to work. I chose a rosemary bush growing a bit farther back in my front yard to get started. As you can see from the photo below, the rosemary bush was too wide for the topiary frame so I had to trim it up. I thought it would only take a little bit of time to do this, but what I soon realized is that the rosemary had a significant amount of woody and bulky stems to contend with. Since I want the rosemary to grow up into the apex of the topiary frame, I was careful to not accidentally trim off thick stems at points where the rosemary was growing tall rather than towards the ground.
After cutting, cutting, cutting, and more cutting, the sun began to rise above the roofs of the neighborhood houses. My shady work area was beginning to dissolve in the sun’s rays, which at this point in the year function more like flame throwers. I had to hurry!
With some brute force, I wedged the remaining rosemary bush into the topiary frame. Here’s what it looks like…
On the sides, you can see the piles of rosemary trimmings, but you can’t smell the overwhelming fragrance. The stems are smashed and bunched up into the frame. Over this summer, while catching shady moments, I will coax the stems upwards and figure out how to trim the greenery properly to create this cone shaped topiary form.
Oh! The other topiary frame is still in my house. I didn’t have time to put it out front. That will be a project for another early morning gardening day.