Flattened Flower Craft Project

My backyard is uncontrollably blooming yellows, pinks, reds, and oranges. I wanted to bring that beauty into my house. Instead of chopping off the blooms for a vase, I flattened them in my ginormous Java Programming book. First, I put tissue paper in the book. Then I added the flowers, folded the rest of the tissue paper over the flowers and closed the book. It took a while before I got back to the project, like months. So they were completely dried and flattened by the time I got back to them.

In the meantime, I sketched a couple of drawings of the flowers. Can you tell which was drawn from a photograph and which was drawn plein air?

img_20160822_074738031img_20160822_072610763

When the sketches were finished and colored in, I added the dried flowers to them.

I brushed Mod Podge, and adhesive, to the sketch.

img_20160822_075542294img_20160822_075642903

Before the Mod Podge dried, I pressed the dried flowers onto the drawing. I also applied the Mod Podge directly onto the dried flowers.

After everything dried, I displayed my crafty project on the wall.

How to make the frame: Skillshare

About misslittleowl

A teacher writing about local happenings, school adventures, intriguing books, desert gardening, and whatever else she stumbles upon that needs sharing.
This entry was posted in Art & Photography, Crafts, Garden, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s